Sunday, April 28, 2024

Let this Cup Pass from Me

I have learned something about my "art." I painted the above painting, and worked and reworked the face because I felt it looked like Jesus was just an old Chinese sage, not "Jesus." I actually got so disappointed with it I tore it up. ðŸ˜¬

So now, I have the photo, but no one has the original. 

I look at it now, months later, and I see mothing wrong with having a Chinese Christ. I see that, despite my personal cultural biases, and my perfectionism (I didn't want to paint Jesus Christ without it being worthy of the Sistine Chapel, it seems), my "art" still exists, because  it is a gift. And even if I create something I don't personally care for at the moment, it still comes out artistic. I can't help it!

I have, happily, been able to post my work in a couple of groups online that are full of artists encouraging each other. I get surprised at "how many likes" I get (boy, this is a dangerous path, isn't it?) on some of my work that I didn't think were so hot.

I need to remember that it is not others' opinions that I need to seek, but God's. Still, God is often silent about my art. I guess it is because--nice as it is--art is not as important as staying true to the Gospel, for instance. Loving one's neighbor. Supporting the righteous efforts of family members. So I figure God lets me do my thing as long as I am sure to have the right priorities with my time and talents.



 

No comments: